Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gltuen-Free Challenge Day 1: Shopping

Warning: This blog post does not contain recipes.  It is instead a series of observations and ramblings about food shopping when half the grocery store is likely to make me ill.  But if you tune into my blog primarily for food pictures and descriptions, this entry may disappoint.


I'm generally a fairly healthy eater, and I like to cook.  By far the biggest things standing between me and cooking all my own meals is time.  Not so much time to cook (although that's a factor) as time to shop.  But I've recently realized that my workplace has a nearly full kitchen, and is within five blocks of three different produce stores and a Safeway.  And I have long breaks.  So really, I have no excuse whatsoever.  Therefore, today I went shopping for supplies to keep myself away from restaurants and into home cooking.

Most of the small stores in Vancouver are Asian-run, so there are often fun foods to explore.  My favourite are the desserts.  Giving up gluten rules out most Western sweets, but certainly hasn't done anything to my sweet tooth; and a lot of other culinary traditions use less egg and milk and more rice and other gluten-free flours.  My personal favourite are what I believe are called daifuku, or mochi, but please correct me if I'm wrong - balls of sweet rice flour filled with tasty delights like red bean paste or taro or black sesame.  I'm hit-or-miss with finding them (which is probably just personal failure at shopping), but when I do I tend to eat them rather too quickly.

A long time ago I made a rule that I wouldn't buy desserts for at home.  This rule stemmed from my lack of will-power - it was much easier to exert will-power once every few weeks at the grocery store, rather than every time I'm at home and remember I have sweets.  Recently, I've amended that rule - I only let myself buy desserts when I shop if they are something new or novel I've never tried before.  Today's shopping trip yielded black sesame candy (basically a thicker version of the sesame seed and sugar waffers that are sold 3/$1 at most grocery stores), and a sample platter of coconut-and-agar puddings (mango, lychee and strawberry).  The sesame candy lasted all of a few hours; the puddings I'm hoping to space out over a few days, although we'll see if that holds.

Also acquired today: copious numbers of fresh herbs, the best part of shopping at produce stores rather than big grocery stores.  I made a lentil salad, with tomatoes, cucumber, red and yellow peppers, dried figs (yes, I'm kind of weird in my taste preferences), and fresh thyme and basil.  For the first time I think I can say that I actually used too many fresh herbs in something.  Live and learn; I had no idea that was possible.

Cooking with any kind of allergies means reading ingredients labels constantly.  I've gotten very good at skimming them, but I have to say that after reading labels on 8 different bottles of soy sauce (I was looking for wheat-free Tamari, which I failed to find...time to turn to health stores), I was getting more than a little impatient.  I have a personal objection to any product that uses a common allergen when it doesn't need to be there.  This used to apply to (wheat) crackers that used milk products.  Now, my anger is directed at the makers of Salt & Vinegar Crispy Minis (rice cakes instead of potato chips), and the company that makes almond-based crackers.  Both have decided that lactose is a necessary flavouring agent.  Given that the number of lactose-intolerant of friends and family members I could name off the top of my head would exceed the number of fingers I have to count with, I really don't understand the rationale that says taking dairy-free food and adding lactose back in is somehow a good idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment