Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Rockin' Moroccan Stew: Variations on a Theme

The best part of the Looneyspoons cookbook series is definitely the recipe names.  The cookbooks are by Janet & Greta Podleski, and other titles in the series include Crazy Plates and Eat, Shrink & Be Merry. The books feature easy, low-fat recipes, although I have issues with the amount of sugar that's used in many of the recipes to replace the fat. Despite this unfortunate tendancy, several of their recipes are definitely winners, and Rockin' Moroccan Stew is definitely one of them. (I'm also a big fan of On Golden Prawns, a curried shrimp dish.)

I first made this recipe as a teenager, when I still lived at home and was still learning to cook things more complicated than grilled cheese sandwiches and tuna salad - although, believe you me, I made a mean tuna salad. Anyway, I made the stew, thought it was tasty, and then forgot about it for years, until a family reunion last year when one my cousins busted out the recipe to feed a vegan relative.  Having been reminded how incredibly delicious this recipe actually is, it's become a staple of my kitchen.
However, the recipe didn't stop there. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a relative who has gone not only vegan, but completely fat-free as well. That means no cooking things in oil, no adding in any nuts or oily ingredients for flavour, etc. As it turns out, with some modifications, this recipe converts very well to an oil-free form. The flavour is a bit different - it's less creamy and tastes a bit more like chili - but it's still an extremely delicious option for anyone needing to cut fat out of their diet. We've served it alongside catered food at parties, to rave reviews. And this recipe also works very well in the crock pot, for easy preparation.

So here I present Rockin' Moroccan Stew, three ways: the original recipe, my modifications (for taste), and a fat-free alternative option.

Rockin' Moroccan Stew

2 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onions 
1/2 cup each diced celery and chopped green bell pepper 
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp grated ginger root
1 tsp each ground cumin, curry powder, ground coriander and chili powder
3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
3 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no-salt-added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup raisins
2 Tbsp each light peanut butter and minced fresh cilantro
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic. Cook and stir until the vegetables begin to soften, about three minutes. Add ginger root, cumin, curry powder, coriander and chili powder. Cook for 30 more seconds. Add all the remaining ingredients, except the raisins, peanut butter and cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

Stir in raisins, peanut butter and cilantro. Mix well. Simmer for five more minutes. Serve hot. (I really like the stew served over quinoa, although for the non-gluten-intolerant, couscous works too).

Flavour Variations
  • I have a complete inability to remember what vegetables actually go in this dish, so I definitely vary it up each time.  I also don't like having leftover veggies, so I'll usually add a whole pepper, a few stocks of celery, and one onion, rather than measuring proportions.  I've also added carrots, and wilted kale or spinach, both of which are tasty.
  • I personally love lime juice, and I tend to use lime in place of lemon. I usually just use a whole citrus fruit, without worrying too much about measuring. I also almost always at least double the cilantro, but it can be eliminated for the cilantro-haters out there.
  • It's really hard for me to find 19 oz cans of diced tomatoes, so I just add a full 28 oz can, and increase the veggies and spices a bit to balance it out.
  • If you don't have peanut butter on hand, or are cooking for someone with a peanut allergy, tahini makes a great alternative addition.  (I usually have tahini on hand for hummus making purposes, but it's hit or miss whether I have peanut butter in my kitchen.)
  • I like my stew spicy, so I usually add hot sauce and/or hot pepper flakes.

Low Fat Option
  • Rather than sautéing the vegetables in oil, sauté in small amounts of veggie broth (just enough to keep the veggies from sticking).
  • Rather than peanut butter, add a cornstarch-and-water mix to the stew at the end of cooking, and simmer until thickened. If you're cooking for someone with a corn allergy, then use arrowroot powder or tapioca starch to thicken instead.
  • Adding nutritional yeast provides some of the rich flavour usually imparted by the nut butter; this can be added to the stew during preparation, or sprinkled on top after serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment